"Keep pure your highest ideals, strive ever toward them." - Charge of the Goddess
Since having started working in environmental conservation, I feel much more inspired to take on more ethical challenges to make sure that I take care of Gaia and honor the concept of the Gaia Hypothesis.
- General Groceries/ Supermarket Shopping: For an all-round guide go to the Ethical Consumer Guide which you can view online - it really is wonderful for all kinds of consumerism as to whether each product is ethically sound environmentally, in regards to animal cruelty, fair trade and how they treat their workers.
- Animal cruelty - a concise list of information: The above is more helpful because it talks about ethical consumerism in general, and if for some reason you are more passionate about/want to know more about which products test on animals go to PETA's Caring Consumer website.
- Aromatherapy products - as mentioned in this previous article, it's incredible what goes on when you're not paying close attention! I'm letting quite a few of my aromatherapy oils and resins run out because they are unethical to have in my home. For more info, go to Crop Watch and I will post updates on here for new information/discoveries.
Great companies to purchase from:
- Sanitary products - Wise Woman Pads (Victoria, Australia) and Moon Pads (Tasmania, Australia) - The wonderful makers of cloth sanitary pads to help save the environment. So long as you wash your moon pads well by soaking them overnight in a bucket then putting them in a laundry bag to wash, they will last up to five years. Also, if you buy yourself a rubber menstrual cup to replace tampons you'll save even more money over the years from buying additional packets of tampons which absorb moisture away from your body and can cause toxic shock syndrome. Put your soaking water back onto the garden so that the garden can benefit from your blood.
- Skin and Hair Care - Sukin (Australia) -Skin and Hair Care with no animal testing, a carbon neutral product range and recyclable packaging. They smell beautiful and provide products that really last.